United Parcel Service (UPS) is one of the most renowned parcel delivery service companies in the world. The offices of UPS are present across the world with millions of customers. UPS is so demanding in the whole parcel delivery service industry that it has to handle over 15 million packages every day. UPS has over 4 lakhs employees all over the world and out of 4 lakhs employees the US has 3,62,000 employees and the rest 88,000 are present in other countries. This staff includes UPS package handlers, clerks, UPS drivers, etc. It is the responsibility of these staff of UPS to deliver the package on time. Since its inception UPS has been providing its outstanding service and till now there have been no complaints from any customers. Actually, the staff of UPS is very dedicated and their main concern is to satisfy their customers by providing excellent services. Thus, UPS staff do not take any break from their duties and UPS does not observe all federal holidays except a few important and unavoidable holidays. In 2020 UPS will only observe 6 holidays when all UPS offices will remain closed throughout the country. Thus it becomes very essential to know when does UPS stops delivering? Otherwise what will happen is that you will be expecting your package to get delivered but due to the holiday it will be in transit. But if you know well in advance about the UPS holidays you will do your shipment in such a way that it will reach the recipient before the holidays. That is the reason knowing UPS holidays can provide you enormous benefits. Again, in the US and also in other countries there are many small companies that are totally dependent on the courier services providers. As such if these companies do not have the list of holidays of courier service providers like UPS then they will encounter several problems in their own operations. Thus knowing the full list of UPS holidays of 2020 becomes very essential as your shipment will not be delivered to your recipient since all office will remain closed on those days and no mail service will be running.
UPS Holidays 2020 :
On the holidays UPS is not available for any normal pick up or drop off facility. Thus the customers of UPS should know the list of holidays so that it becomes possible for them to adjust their package deliver as per the holiday schedule of 2020. Thus whenever you want your mail or package to be delivered in one day you should first check whether the delivery day is a working day or a holiday in UPS. This is because if the delivery day is a holiday in UPS then your package will not be delivered on your expected rather your recipient will receive the package on the next day. So if you do not know when does UPS close you will have a big problem. Thus all UPS customer should keep in mind that on the holiday no mail service will be carried out in UPS and so they should not expect their mail or package to get delivered on a holiday
The following table presented the full list of UPS holidays 2020:
|January 1||Wednesday||New Year’s Day|
|May 25||Monday||Memorial Day|
|July 3||Friday||Independence Day*|
|September 7||Monday||Labor Day|
|November 26||Thursday||Thanksgiving Day|
|December 25||Friday||Christmas day|
Thus you have observed that in 2020 UPS will only keep its office closed for 6 federal holidays and will not celebrate the other holidays so that they can provide the optimum service to their customer. But you may get confused seeing that Independence Day will be observed on 3rd July whereas as per the US government rules and regulation the US independence falls. Actually what happened is that 4th falls on Saturday which is already a weekend in UPS which is a day off for the staff of the UPS. Since UPS will only observe 6 holidays in the whole year the UP authority to celebrate Independence on 3rd July so that the UPS worker can enjoy the day to their full extent.
UPS Holiday Schedule :
Holidays are certainly the best time for everybody and it means a lot to the staff of UPS as they only get a few holidays in the year. But even if there are holidays the staff of UPS needs to complete their pending shipment before the holidays. For example, during the Christmas holiday a load of parcels usually increases as everybody used to send their packages and gifts to their near and dear ones. UPS also observes Christmas Day on 25th December and keeps its office closed on that day. So, UPS takes necessary steps to complete all its pending shipments by 24th December so that they can enjoy their holiday without any concern. Similarly, the UPS customer should also take an essential step to do their shipment a little earlier so that their shipment reaches to their recipient well before the holidays. That is the reason why everybody associated with UPS should be aware of UPS holidays and also the reasons why it is observed.
The following are some vital holidays observed in UPS along with the importance of the holidays:
- Wednesday, January 1 New Year’s Day: According to the Gregorian and Julian calendar 1st January is the first day of the year. Gregorian and Julian’s calendar are followed in many parts of the world including the US. As a result 1st January is considered to be the federal holiday in the US. Now it has become a ritual of celebrating this special day by doing various things such as by taking a resolution for the entire year, by worshiping in the churches, temples, mosques in the hope that the year will go well, by doing parades, etc. There is also a ritual of sending mails and gift packets to their near and dear ones on the New Year day. So, UPS also observe 1st January as the holiday and keep its office closed on this day. Hence, no mail will be delivered on this day. So, if you are a UPS customer and want to send their gift, flowers or packages on New Year eve make sure that you have done your shipment some days earlier than the New Year so that it can be delivered to your recipient well before the New Year day.
- Monday, May 25 Memorial Day: In the US there is a ritual of observing the last Monday of May month as a holiday. On this day every American remembers the armies of their country who died at the war for the US. All Americans use to visit the memorials and cemeteries for paying respect and honour those armies who had sacrificed their lives for the country. Being a reputed American company UPS also follows this tradition and observes this day as a holiday. UPS also show their respect for the brave armies of the US. Hence on this day no mail will be delivered on this day by UPS and it is advisable to the UPS customer not to expect their mail to get delivered on the Memorial Day. Since in 2020, the last Monday of May month falls on 25th May UPS will remain totally closed throughout the country and no standard mail service will be running on that day except the emergency service. ‘UPS Express Critical’ service will only remain open to serve the customers at emergency but it will be charged much higher than the normal mail service.
- Friday, July 3 Independence Day: Every year all Americans use to observe 4th July day as Independent Day. Actually, in year 1776 the US became independent from the hand of the British Empire on this day. Hence they use to celebrate this special day with great pomp and happiness. But in 2020, 4th July falls on Saturday and since in US Saturday is considered to be a weekend and many offices remain closed UPS has taken the decision to observe Independence Day on 3rd July, Friday instead of 4th July, Saturday. So, if you are a UPS customer you must know that on 3rd July 2020, no UPS office will remain open in the country and hence no mail services will be delivered on this day except for ‘UPS Express Critical’ which will be open only for the emergency service.
- Monday, September 7 Labor Day: This is another special day for all Americans as they celebrate this day as Labor Day throughout the country. Along with the US Labor Day is also celebrated in many countries of the world. The main purpose of this day is to honour the contribution of workers who had participated and sacrificed their lives in the American labor movement. Since these workers made a huge contribution in strengthening the law and prosperity of the country all schools, colleges, offices including UPS observe this day as a federal holiday and do not deliver their normal mail service on this day. But in case there are an emergency UPS has kept one option open for its customer. They can avail ‘UPS Express Critical’ service but at a high charge. Thus except for this emergency service, you should not expect the delivery of normal mail on this day in the US.
- Thursday, November 26 Thanksgiving Day: In the US there is a ritual of observing the fourth Thursday of November as a federal holiday and celebrates the day as Thanksgiving Day. It is actually the harvest festival of the year in the US. On this day people use to help the poorer section of the society by providing free food to them. UPS also keeps its office closed on this day so that its staff can enjoy the day with great pomp. No normal mail services will be delivered on this day and the UPS customers cannot expect any mail to be delivered on this day.
- Wednesday, December 25 Christmas Day: It is not only America but Christmas Day is observed all over the world. Christmas Day is the biggest day for every Christians and it is observed every 25th December every year. On Christmas Day people use various activities such as decorating their homes, sending and receiving gifts from near and dear ones, visiting their families, etc. Christmas Day is a public holiday in the US and all offices, colleges, and schools will remain closed throughout the country. UPS also remains closed on this day and no mail service will be delivered on this day. So, if you need to ship your parcel or gifts make sure that you have done the shipment well before the Christmas holiday. In that case it will certainly reach your recipient before the Christmas holiday.
UPS is the best courier service providers in the world that have been providing outstanding service to its customer. UPS use to work throughout the year for its customer but on some important federal holidays it will remain closed. The above-mentioned table presents the list when UPS will remain closed throughout the country. So, if you are a UPS customer it is very important for you to check the holiday that is listed in the above- mentioned table before you go to ship any of your parcel or mail. After making sure that that there is no UPS holiday you can ship your parcel as no mail service will be delivered on the holidays. It is true that UPS runs 365 days a year but on federal holidays UPS remains closed except for ‘UPS Express Critical’ services that are available only for the emergency situation. UPS also remains its office open on the weekends but it only remains closed on some important federal holidays that are mentioned above. UPS has been providing its outstanding mail service not only in American but also all over the world.